Grateful for Just One More Day - Dear America

Dear America,

Whether you spend the coming days scarfing down pumpkin pie or railing against the pilgrims, there's something special about Thanksgiving that I think deserves to be recognized. Regardless of one's culture, it is incredibly humbling and retrospective to think about what we have and what we can be grateful for. One thing that annoys me about this particular holiday though is that we usually just say "thanks" to the sky for something someone else gave us and accept that this is good enough. Most of life's gifts are given through the actions of someone else. Our parents gave us life and tolerated our nonsense for 18+ years; our partners currently tolerate our shenanigans and knowingly live with us; and our families/work/obsessions give us reasons to keep going.

I want to challenge you, on this Thanksgiving. Think about what you have and where you've come since last year. Some of us have crossed oceans; changed careers; and/or even started entirely new lives. As much as I wish I could say it was so, we didn't do it on our own.

This year, I want to thank my loved ones for making me want to strive to be a better person. Thanks to the cops, firefighters, and EMTs for letting me sleep at night without fear. Thanks to my friends for their company. I'll even thank my enemies and rivals for challenging me and giving me something to work against. Lastly, I'd like to thank you. Whomever you are and wherever you may be, I'm thankful you're here with me so I could share my story. I'm looking forward to next year when I can thank you all over again.

Sincerely,

Calhoun

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Last of Us (PS4) - Video Game Review

Eyes in the Dark - Tales from the Milkwood Lounge

The Fanatic - Film Review