Magic City - Television Season 2 Review

As I mentioned in my review of the first season, I had originally tried Magic City before but given up after finishing season one. I felt that the show squandered its setting and failed to weave together its many plot points into a cohesive story. I know I may have come off as overly critical on that review, however I don't believe that Magic City was a bad show, just that it simply failed to live up to its potential. I am happy to say that I did not repeat the same mistake I made last time and decided to give season two a go. Like the first season, I viewed this via Blu-Ray.

Spoiler Warning: As this review covers season two of Magic City, there will be spoilers for the previous season. If you haven't seen the first season yet and want to avoid having the story ruined, I'd stop reading now or check out my review for season one here.

Amazon.com: Magic City: Season 2 [Blu-ray]: Jeffrey Dean Morgan ...*

General Information 
I'm not going to repeat the general information for the show, however I will add some stuff I learned in my further research on the show. Without any spoilers, it is fairly clear that Magic City ends without any major cliff-hangars by its end, which makes me think that the showrunners were pretty aware that it was not going to get greenlit for a third season as they developed it. Despite that, there was some strange news in 2014 that the show would have a theatrical release act as a close-out to the series. Supposedly, it was going to feature Bruce Willis and Bill Murray, as well as the majority of its surviving cast. With all of that said... I sincerely doubt this will actually happen as nothing has been heard since and (to be frank) the show seems to lack the following for a major Hollywood move. The idea of Bill Murray signing on to do it makes me think that this news is possibly even speculation at best. 

The Story
Season two took most of season one's flaws and vastly improved upon them to the point of where I can say that it was damn good television. It picks up right where season one left off, however several of its plot points begin to mesh to the series finale. The most important part is Ike's ongoing efforts to cut Ben Diamond out of the Miramar Playa once and for all. The super-creepy voyeurism fetish that Ben's rocking at his house with Stevie and Mrs. Diamond starts to pay off in dividends I did not see coming while the brief introduction of Chicago mob boss, Sy, takes full form when the head honcho comes to visit.

One of my biggest problems with season one was that Magic City's take on a gangster's Miami in the 1950's was a lack of Cuban involvement and no expansion beyond Ben's standard party of mooks and wiseguys. Season two introduces new players to the mix that really raise the stakes and help with the world building. Tampa wiseguy, Nicky Grillo, is muscling in on the action in Miami (under Ben's nose no-less), and Sy (played by a weary, but still thoroughly intimidating James Caan) is getting more involved in Florida business as Ben's empire starts to show cracks in the foundation. On the Cuban front, Castro operatives and Cuban separatists both get involved, however I feel like more could have been done there. 

In season one, Ben Diamond told the old fable of the scorpion and the frog. At the time, the audience (even presumably Ben and Ike) are led to believe that Ben is the scorpion and Ike is the frog. It even seems that way considering Ben's murderous nature, however season two plays with this duality a bit more. By the end of season one, we saw that Ike was more than capable of taking another's life, and I was really glad to see what I presumed the main plot of the story (e.g. Ike attempting to wrest control of the Miramar Playa from Ben) finally take center-stage. By the end of season two, I would contend that Ike is actually the scorpion in Ben's tale and Ben is the frog. Without Ben's money, Ike would've never been able to cross the metaphorical river of becoming a hotel owner. Furthermore, it seems that Ike's obsession to become the sole-owner of the Miramar would lead to a far more self-destructive path. 

Episode 6 (Sitting on Top of the World) is easily the best of the entire season as it helped pull a lot of wandering plotlines together, however the final season is not perfect by any means. There were still numerous areas where the show left loose ends that weren't big enough to argue an extra season, but were also too big to go unnoticed. I began to like both Mercedes' and Vera's stories until they wore out their welcome. Mercedes seemingly fell off the face of the earth by the final episode, while Vera's struggle with her own physical limitations went from soulful to annoying. The dual between Ike and the mob kept the show engaging and even exhilarating at times, but these other little parts bogged it down.

Special Effects/Atmosphere
The majority of the show continues to take place primarily in the Miramar Playa, however we see some interesting scenery involving Overtown and even Havana. The DJ convention in Episode 6 probably takes the cake for a great mix of both music and setting to further create atmosphere. Something I really liked was some of the brief times we got to see other clubs and interior locations within Miami. Near the start of season two, there's a fight in a nightclub in Overtown that I thought was pretty damn awesome. I wish I could've seen more of that, but I suppose you shouldn't fix something that isn't broken.

Something I do want to address was the way that the show portrayed women and sex. Look, I get that it was a different time and this is Starz so the film reels literally run off of bodily fluids, but there were times that I felt it all went just a little too far. Scenes like where a prostitute is led around on a leash (attached to a very sensitive area) or the "cunnilingus olympics" probably help set the atmosphere, but they also seem more trouble than they're worth. I really don't mind seeing sex in shows like this, but sometimes it just felt somewhat forced and even a little jarring. 

The Acting
I know I lauded him in season one, but somebody needs to get Danny Huston on another show where he can let loose like this. Ben Diamond continued to be the main drive of the show for me as Huston managed to make everything work. Something I found interesting in this season were the scenes where Ben had to contend with guys that were higher on the food chain from him. Huston's interactions with James Caan's Sy was pretty neat to watch while scenes where he could unleash his full predatory nature made for stellar viewing.

Speaking of James Caan, I thought it was good to see him back filling a gangster role. I don't believe I've seen the man in such a role since the old Godfather days, but Caan picked up right where he left off with Sonny Corleone. That gruff and gravely way of speaking and moving kept me convinced that even though the guy is nearly decrepit, he's still incredibly dangerous. The final interaction between Sy and Ike was a pretty awesome showdown.

**
Only two things intimidate Ben Diamond: James Caan's Sy, and a lack of sunblock

Jeffrey Dean Morgan did a fine job again, but it was really just serviceable. I have no complaints, but I also don't really have any compliments for the man's performance. I think Steven Strait continued to excellently portray Stevie Evans, and his character may be the only one that makes me wish for a third season.

The Best of the Best: The entirety of Episode 6. I recommend watching just that episode of the series if you get the chance. The stakes were high, across the board, and it felt like the first time the show completely realized its potential.

The Worst of the Worst: I hated Danny Evans in season one and continue to hate him in season two. He contributed very little to season two and mainly just bitched about his privileged childhood. We already have Vera complaining, so we don't need another Evans to add even more fuel to the fire.

Would I Recommend?
Season two of Magic City redeems most of where season one failed. Season two is worth watching if you made it through season one. If you haven't watched season one, I'd watch the last episode of season one and then just move straight into season two. It might be a little jarring at first, but all of the action is in season two.

I really wanted to like this show as it checks most of the boxes for me. Despite that, I can understand why I decided not to watch Season Two when I first watched this series. With that being said, if you like 1950's-1960's period pieces, you might wanna check this out (at least watch the first episode). If you like shows based in Miami, I'd pass as this show really isn't about Miami. If you like gangster shows, I'd recommend The SopranosBrotherhood, or even Wiseguy first. I'm really hoping Season Two changes my mind about this series, but Season One does not give me much enthusiasm.

-------------------------------------------------Spoiler Comments-----------------------------------------------------

  • Although they never actually say his full name, both Sy and Ben mention that Nicky Grillo was with a guy named "Santo" in Cuba. For those that are unaware, "Santo" was likely Santo Trafficante, who was the real-life boss of a La Cosa Nostra syndicate that operated out of Tampa, FL.
    • Nicky Grillo's death and discovery was eerily similar to another real wiseguy: Johnny Roselli. Roselli worked as a liaison between the American Mafia and the CIA to assassinate Castro, but ended up getting whacked. His body was found stuffed in a barrel off the coast of Florida too.
  • Well actually: I'm going to nerd out for a moment, but I disliked that they made Sy Jewish as the head of the Chicago Outfit. The Chicago Outfit was (and still is) an Italian-American enterprise that incorporates other ethnic backgrounds, but is predominantly Italian. It was clear (in the show) that Sy was in charge of it, but that simply wouldn't make sense in real life. I feel that the show had to know they were making this mistake as they literally have Sam Giancana (the real boss of the Chicago Outfit at the time) in the opening credits of both seasons (I believe he's the gangster-looking guy in the shades and fedora).
  • Vera's ultimatum to Ike (at the end of the final episode) was complete and utter bullshit. We all know Meg was thirsty for Ike, but Ike was in a position where he either continues a murderous partnership with the mafia or protects all of his loved ones by selling to his dead wife's sister. Vera has no right to feel betrayed over that deal.
  • When did Danny and Mercedes break up? Was it during her cousin's funeral? Did I miss that? I know she was pissed, but it's not like Danny shot the guy.
    • Speaking of which, I could watch Danny get punched in the kidneys at that gun-smuggling bust over and over again.
  • I didn't completely buy Danny's revelatory hatred for his father. If anything, I feel like Danny should have ended the series better understanding his father's position. It's Danny's fault that Judi Silver got stabbed to death. He went to the DA's office in season one believing that as long as you do the right thing, nothing bad can come of it. The whole death of Judi plotline should've helped his character grow and understand why Ike does the things he does. Instead Danny spent his final moments in the show whining like a petulant child before driving off in the fancy car his daddy bought for him.
----------------------------------------------------References--------------------------------------------------

*Amazon. (n.d.). Magic City Season 2 television series cover image. Retrieved from: https://www.amazon.com/Magic-City-Season-2-Blu-ray/dp/B00E3V9UKI.
**Bukowski's Basement. (2013, June 15). Sy and Ben meet image. Blogger. Retrieved from: https://www.bukowskisbasement.blogspot.com/2013/06/magic-city-season-2-has-it-improved.html.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last of Us (PS4) - Video Game Review

Eyes in the Dark - Tales from the Milkwood Lounge

Underwater - Film Review