Too much Communication

Dear America,

I'd like to pose to you one of the greatest questions mankind has faced since the dawn of the second half of the Twentieth Century: "Do these jeans make my ass look big?" Now, I am dead serious when I bring this up. Lately, I've been hearing a lot about how people need to open up more and simply communicate how they feel. Frankly, I think the advent of social media took that recommendation and ran with it as now we're communicating too much. Heck, you're reading some communication right now (thanks by the way).

I think that silence has some really great aspects that applies to communication. As an American and a fan of hyperbole, I'll be the first to admit that I exaggerate in how I speak and write from time to time. I think a little silence adds weight to words when they finally come out. Think about that first time someone said "I love you." Sweet Jesus, that was some powerful stuff, right? Unfortunately, the more you hear it from the same person, the less significant it seems to feel. To some people, it stops meaning much of anything and then needs to be backed up by lengthy discussions about just how much someone loves someone else. So...more communication I guess?

Of course, this problem is not even close to being exclusive to "love." As Americans, we hate a lot of stuff too. Personally, I hate grunge music, pineapple on pizza, and men with popped collars but is it really hate or just a great dislike? Perhaps I should choose my words more carefully...

In any case, hyperbole aside, let's get back to the pressing matter at hand: do those jeans really make their ass look big? The pragmatist in me tells me that I should say "no," but the idealist in me (aka the bastard telling me to communicate more) want me to say "absolutely, and that's okay!" What would you say? Are you a pragmatist, or an idealist? Oh, and if you have a thing for big butts, then your vote only partially counts.

I think that so much is lost in today's communication that our wires get crossed and what we meant to say was not what was heard. It can be intimidating, especially when matters of the heart are involved. Perhaps instead of communicating so much, we should choose our words carefully... and all wear sweatpants.

Sincerely,
Calhoun

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last of Us (PS4) - Video Game Review

Eyes in the Dark - Tales from the Milkwood Lounge

The Fanatic - Film Review